Friday, October 21, 2011

The Great Job Hunt

I've been in NYC for six weeks now. Here's a summary of my job hunt:

  • 2 applications at the American Museum of Natural History
  • 2 applications at the New York Historical Society
  • 11 applications at Columbia University
  • 2 newspaper applications
  • 3 nanny applications
  • 1 Starbucks application
  • 1 Target application
  • 2 Sur La Table applications
  • 1 application at the Brooklyn Children's Museum
  • 3 ESL Teacher applications
  • 2 applications at bilingual schools
  • 1 application at the Bronx Zoo
  • 1 application at the Bronx Children's Museum
  • 1 application at Discovery Times Square
  • 1 application at the Museum of the City of New York
Total number of applications: 34
Total number of interviews: 1
Total number of "nos": 3

And those are only the ones I can remember. I've applied to other jobs, basically everything related to museums, education, ESL, retail, or working with kids. I'm starting to feel desperate. I'm not even getting calls or emails! Apparently finding a job in NYC is all about who you know. I've made some contacts through my friend Lilli (we used to work together at the Natural History Museum in L.A.), but I still haven't had any luck. I'm really hopeful that one of the nanny jobs will work out, since they were the only ones who actually interviewed me, and the hours and pay are exactly what I'm looking for. But my lack of actual nannying experience might be against me here. Then again, they did have me over for an interview, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think I could do the job, right? Still, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I should know by the end of this week.

Addendum: Nanny job was a "no" as well...

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I can't say I'm surprised. I average about that many applications a week while I'm job hunting with similar results. Actually, I'm impressed you got "no"s. Hardly anyone has the decency to do that much, especially without an interview first. It's not just New York. It's like that everywhere. Museums and schools are particularly hard because they have budget cuts to deal with. Try not to get discouraged. It could be a while before you get a job and a long time before you get a job you want, but it will work out in the end.

    ReplyDelete